Contact InformationOffice: VPD 314E
Phone: (213) 821-2774
Biographical SketchManel Baucells is Senior Economist at the USC Center for Economic and Social Research (CESR) and full professor in the Department of Economics and Business of Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona, Spain). He completed his Ph.D. on game theory, with applications to management, at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) under the supervision of Steven Lippman and Lloyd Shapley (2012 Nobel Prize laureate in Economics).
Manel has more than ten years of experience in teaching at business schools in Europe (Skolkovo, IESE, London Business School) and the United States (Duke, UCLA). While at IESE, he won the Excellence in Research Award (2004) and the Teaching Award (2006). His main research focus is on behavioral economics, which strives to incorporate psychological realism into economic models. In his work he models factors such as reference point formation, mental accounting, non-linear risk and time distance and satiation. He is associate editor of the journals Management Science and Operations Research.
Manel and Rakesh Sarin (UCLA) have recently published the book Engineering Happiness (UC Press). The book applies principles of behavioral economics to improve life outcomes.
- Baucells, Manel and Franz Heukamp (2012). Probability and Time Trade-off. Management Science, 58(4), 831-842.
- Baucells, Manel, Martin Weber, and Frank Welfens (2011). Reference - Point Formation and Updating. Management Science, 57(3), 506-519.
- Baucells, Manel and Lloyd S. Shapley (2008). Multiperson Utility. Games and Economic Behavior, 62, 329-347.
- Ph.D. Management, the Anderson School at UCLA. Title "Essays in Game Theory," under the supervision of Llod S. Shapley and Steven A. Lippman 1995-1999
- MBA, IESE Business School, Spain, 1991-1993
- M.S. Mechanical Engineer, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Spain, 1984-1990
- Senior Economist, USC Center for Economic and Social Research, 2013
- Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, USA. Senior Economist. Faculty member of the Pardee RAND Graduate School, 2012
- The Anderson School at UCLA. Visiting Associate Professor, 2008 to present
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF), Department of Economics and Business. Full Professor. On leave from July 2012. 2009-2013
- Erasmus University, Dept. of Applied Economics. Visiting Scholar, 2010-2011
- UPF. Dean of the Barcelona School of Management, 2009-2011
- London Business School. Visiting Professor, 2009-2010
- MIT Sloan School of Management. Visiting Scholar, 2009
- IESE Business School, Barcelona, Spain. Associate Professor. Head of the Managerial Decision Sciences department (2006-08). 2005-2009
- Informs Decision Analysis Society. Council Member, 2004-2007
- Duke Fuqua School of Business. Visiting Assistant Professor, 2001-2003
- IESE Business School, Barcelona, Spain. Assistant Professor, 1999-2004